From: "Pete Whitfill" <petewhitfill@xxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:17:56 PM
Subject: [TCML] bifilary primary?

Hey there,

Has anyone played with a bifilar primary? Specifically anyone who has worked with stuff
from DC Cox?

I have a coil that I built back in '88 as a high school project based on TCBA archives that
I was able to get back then along with advice (and some parts) from D.C. Cox. It was a
great project and continues to be a wonderful hobby.

Back in 2003 I rebuilt the coil somewhat for it to be in a play. I ordered new primary coil
supports from DC and when I got them, I had trouble making them work right for a single
flat spiral 1/2" copper primary. Things wouldn't ever quite line up.

I am now in the process of rebuilding it again(It hasn't run since 2005) and finally I think I
figured out what the deal is with the primary supports... They are cut for a bifilar coil setup...
It looks like DC.Cox gave me something I didn't even ask for and I can't wait to experiment
to figure it out some but I do have a deadline and I gotta get this thing going again...

Has anyone else played with this? I have put both spirals of tubing in place to fill the supports
up. My original setup was about 3-3.25 turns of 1/2 copper tubing somewhat placed in these
supports but not perfectly laid out. Now, there are 2 spirals and each is 3 turns.

Am gonna try just running one of the spirals only and leave the other one dis-connected at
first. Then I guess I am gonna try adding the 2nd coil in with various taps.

Thanks for listening and any advise. Am gonna do mostly low power settings for initial
tests...Still have to verify the other components are working well after all this time.

If you wanna see a photo:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=488232067865013&set=a.431975723490648.91983.100000346710033&type=1&theater

Best,

pete