Re: [TCML] RE: Sound Modulated tesla Coils

Generally speaking NSTs that have GFCIs in them don't work for coiling as the GFCI gets triggered by the very act of coiling itself. However there are some NSTs in which it is easy to remove the GFCI circuit like some of those black-boxy ones from Franceformer and their cousins. They're in riveted steel cases and you can sometimes pop the top off by busting the rivets and get to the GFCI circuit which is in a little "compartment" sectioned off from the potting tar for the transformer itself. In the one's I've "modified" the GFCI circuit was actually just connected to the transformer primary leads with wirenuts. It was simple just to yank it out and connect the primary direct to the AC mains supply using the same wirenuts.

And then there are ones that are molded in one piece, and if you have one of those, forget it.

There's plenty of info on line about ways to "phase" NSTs. You can connect them in parallel and provided they're in phase the output currents add (net the usual losses). Don't connect them in series. That is not safe - think of what happens to those center taps, which are connected to the case. And remember, it's the current increase you're looking for and not voltage.

Also, on the issue of sound modulated coils - there's a wealth of experience right here on this list in the area of DR - solid state coils and modulating them. I will make the bold statement, and I don't think I'm wrong, that literally ALL of the sound modulated coils in the world today originated with designers and engineers and scientists who frequent this mailing list, or have been here in the past. While there is no one-stop location to find the master plans for the ultimate musical DR coil, outside of buying a pre-stocked/designed kit, there's plenty to go on by searching this list and the net. Seek and ye shall find.

It is a journey well worth taking. Because if you buy a kit, and detonate it, like most of us do with our first coils, you'll be left scratching your head and blaming the kit guy for your smoking wreck. Better to mess around a bit yourself first, blow up things in the privacy of your own garage where you can hide your most grievous transgressions before venturing out.

This summer I was away on a "picnic" of sort in the Nevada desert with some fellow coilers who remarked to me that he had never seen or heard of anyone destroy as much coiling paraphernalia as I claimed to have done on this very list before I finally got my coils stable and functioning.

All I can say is: he didn't know the half of it.

The other thing I can say is: learn to use JavaTC. Math is your one true friend in a world of coiling legend, truth, and misinformation.

Cheers,
Joe