Re: [TCML] Strickfaden Neon Sign Transformer

On 10/14/2012 12:28 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I mounted my ladder rods within a tube and made a physical connection at the top to hold them in place. worked excellently.

The other trick i learned was to make a third electrodes at the base, which is connected to a side by some HV Mohm resistors.
This makes it easier to start the arc reliably. Made it ideal for a museum display we made
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Jacobs%20Ladder/IMAG0111s.jpg

Here are some slow motion shots we took of it starting using this electrode
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Jacobs%20Ladder/Ignition/ignitionslowmo.gif

I'm assuming that is a plastic (not glass) tube...how do you mount the electrodes to the tube so that the heat from the rods doesn't melt the plastic?

Jon