Re: [TCML] Phantom Streams finally appear on video...

It's a flat spiral coil, 200T on the Secondary and 10T on the Primary.  .002
mfd
Coil operates better outdoors than in my workshop which is loosely a faraday
cage 8x16' (wire mesh and stucco, 1920s servants quarters orig.).
It operates best in an open space, as the streams are very sensitive and
interact with grounded objects or capacities of any kind.
In the shop must be middle of the room or else the walls will prevent
streams from forming well.

Some power supply pics:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2012/03November2012/index.html
and http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/WhatsNew2012G.htm .
I've since added an additional rheostat moved both to the top of the case.

Also, I've been posting a lot of experimental things to Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Behary/1396620246

Longer video, added brightness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_bTJDIcso
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_bTJDIcso&feature=BFa&list=UU4PnKtq2mO9m37
WPSbtRMoQ> &feature=BFa&list=UU4PnKtq2mO9m37WPSbtRMoQ

The iron gap is original to Kinraide's design, tungsten works better but
kept it close to original.  The iron "appears" to work fine but strong
faradic sensations are
produced which are really painful if the streams are directed to motor
points.  After 10 minutes of experimenting my arm was slightly blistered and
burned as if
flash burned from steam.  The pain ceased around 25 minutes later, the
blisters were part from streamer UV and part dessication/fulgeration
effects.  True to the original
"medical" claims, "medical" being used very loosely...  Put another way it
matches descriptions of various physician comments on the effects of the
coil from 1904.

With a tungsten gap the streams are scarcely painful, much thicker and
longer, and blisters and redness do not occur until direct exposure of a
half-hour or more.  I think the inefficiencies of the gap
contribute in some way.  Could be something as simple as wave form, as in
spark gap diathermy machines a small capacity and inductance could transform
a normally "coagulating" current to a clean
"cutting" current in tissues.

Kinraide claimed to receive X-Ray like burns from his apparatus with no tube
in connection with his machines.
and argued nitric acid being the cause for X-Ray burns and not X-Rays
themselves.  (Many pioneers stubbornly argued the real source of the dangers
of X-Rays.the ill effects of X-Rays were known early
in 1896, despite popular belief of ignorance in that time.it was arrogance
or even enamour of the rays more than ignorance).

I certainly know why he came to this conclusion, though admit he was
incorrect.   (Though, recently, lightning experts in Melborne FL have
witnessed some of my coils and suggested the possibilty
of very low level X-Rays being produced from the streams - they were the
first experimenters to document non-vacuum X-Rays generated from lightning
as well as certain laboratory sparks.super cool work!)

I have experimented with the streams for years and never received a burn so
quickly, though the streams were not as abundant nor as thick as earlier
prototype things I've built.
The iron gap, enclosed in a drawer, produces intense short wave UV that
causes normal printer paper to show black light effects at a distance of 20
feet.
This was another Kinraide experiment, he used 1/4KW of RF and iron to
produce 20-30 times more UV than with a  water-cooled carbon arc rated at
2KW.
These casual experiments can provide a wealth of personal danger to the
operator.  My own health is steadily declining as a result.

Physiologically the apparatus is interesting nevertheless.  I need to
salvage an X-Ray transformer to continue, replace the current limited 15kV
30ma NST with a modified X-Ray xmfr producing 35kV at 10mA.
The current NST is limited by two large Cenco rheostats:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3991224664475.55336366.1396620246
<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3991224664475.55336366.1396620246
&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=4044625119453&set=a.3991224664475.55336366.13966202
46&type=3&theater>
&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=4044625119453&set=a.3991224664475.55336366.13966202
46&type=3&theater

The total power consumption is adjustable from around 50W upward.  At more
than 50% power to the NST the coil operates as a normal Tesla Coil and
produces very typical brush and sparks 10" long and would spark
a lot greater distance if it would not kill itself in the process.  The
rheostats are standard 110V school models 3.2A and 2.2A variable resistors.
I am using them both in series for these experiments.

Jeff Behary, c/o

The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting your video online.

The spark pattern on the ball is similar that on the combination flat
spiral and solenoid secondary coil I built ten years ago:
http://tesla-coil-builder.com/FlatSpiralSolenoidCombo.htm

Like yours, my coil produced spikes from the ball, a strong halo around it,
and a very strong electrostatic field radiating into the room.  The
"phantom streamers," as you call them, were particularly sharp to the touch.

I am curious, are you running the coil inside a Faraday cage room?  My
walls and ceiling were lined with aluminized space blankets.  This helped
to amplify the electrostatic field strength around the coil.

Also, what is the winding between the pancake and the ball?  Is it a single
layer cone or solenoid?

Dave