[TCML] Is there a Tesla coil in my stove?

Hello All,

I have what might sound like a strange question.  I just recently moved into a new apartment in Ithaca, NY; and I noticed something different about the stove.  It is a gas stove.  All gas stoves I have ever seen have a pilot light, that if it goes out, has to be re-lit with a match.  This stove made a weird clicking sound.  I thought the pilot was out and was getting a match ready.  As I opened up the top, I noticed a spark continuously zapping.  It lit the pilot.  This one does not use the match method.  The spark was about a centimeter in length and sparked at a continuous rhythm much like a small Tesla coil.  My question is:  Is it a tiny Tesla coil?  Does anyone else have a stove like this?

Becky