Re: [TCML] 2 beginner questions

Great on-point advice.  Thanks Greg, for sharing your experience.

Jeff

On May 15, 2012, at 2:47 PM, G Hunter wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is a bit unsettling to use fat copper conductors for the various tank circuit connections and copper tubing for the primary coil, yet funnel all that pulsed current through skinny little capacitor leads.  Even so, I've gotten very good results with MMCs based on small commercial poly film caps.  I've tried several different brands over the years, including un-branded cheapies from China.  All of them worked.  I've only used the CD942s once--in a MOT powered coil built for a friend (he was paying for the parts!).  The skinny cap leads didn't even get warm.  My first MMC actually did fail in service, but only when I upgraded from MOT power to a 5KVA pig!  Had I stuck with MOTs and NSTs, I'm confident that original MMC would still be working.  Many thanks to the anonymous engineers who design a generous safety margin plus self-healing magic into their film caps!

Happy Sparks,

Greg