Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil + Transmitting Antenna ?

On 6/6/12 12:44 PM, Matt Siri wrote:
I believe that the Corums have a few papers floating around about this; they reference slow-wave propagation (the wave which appears to propagate up and down the coil itself).

yes, but
a) the wire doesn't need to be 1/4 wavelength long for that.. it's more treating the secondary as a transmission line (with distributed L and C) rather than a lumped component. b) The Corums approach works, but is, in my opinion, adding complexity where it's not needed. A lumped model works with sufficient precision that mechanical construction tolerances are probably a bigger factor.