Re: [TCML] Voltage - Gap

Ah yes I see the posts you are talking about back in the archives.

I am going to spend a little bit of time reading threw this material!

So for the 2000Vdc cap, and the heat dissipated for the standard .15 2Kv would be .9W, seems reasonable.
I don't really see how this is all that useful to me yet, but i am sure after reading thew the material you helped me find, I will learn what to do with it.

Going back to what you said earlier, with
before you work too hard modeling fine details, do a simple subset and
see if it makes a significant difference. You might find that in an RMS
current, heating sense that it doesn't make much difference between one
big pulse at Imax and 3 successive pulses at Imax/3, because the duty
factor is lower at the former. (Yes, heating goes as the square of
current, so that's clearly not true in this specific example, but it's
what I was able to come up with before my coffee as a direction to look)

Its definitely something I need to consider, does this really matter?
Well I am having a good time learning about all this stuff in the process, so why not try and figure it all out. Plus if i do i might be able to correlate some interesting things and add to the general knowledge base for everyone to learn from.

another interesting thing about my coil in particular, Because I am basing it on Steves DC design, but optimizing the parameters, I can pretty much assume that the tank cap will be fully charged on what ever time scale I want it to be charged on. meaning that I can pick my BPS to be what ever I want and still achieve the maximum bang energy, assuming I have the current to push the system of course. I am designing for 600bps because that's the maximum my gap will be able to push. Hence my heavy interest in the RMS current, because that means a huge difference in price of the MMC. Its will all be too expensive for me anyway and I will be making my own poly caps in the end. But its been an interesting and knowledgeable exercise thus far, so I might as well keep going. FOR SCIENCEEEEEE!!

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."