Re: [TCML] Off topic? Inductively-coupled N2 laser

On 1/7/12 5:05 PM, David Sharpe wrote:
JF

I mentored a college colleague about 10 years ago with a physics project.
He acquired a 10W CO2 medical laser (water cooled), so we brainstormed
options to power it.  We decided rather then using a 15kV/30mA NST to build
a 600W VTTC based on (6) 6146 pentodes configured as a push pull X 3
parallel stages driving a resonator.  Base of laser to ground passed through
a shunt resistor and voltage drop across resistor was passed through
an amplifier and used to adjust GLB (oscillator output).

After much monkeying around with gas mixtures and pressures (very
critical), was able to get tube to successfully lase, unfocused beam on
hand would create very warm spot about size of a dime.  Video taped
(Thank GOD!) before laser tube water jacket ruptured next day.  Got him
an A- for his senior physics project.

I have also seen multi-kilowatt CO2 lasers using arguably DRSSTC/SSTC
technology for driving the laser.  Enough instantaneous power to rupture a
solid cinder block from thermal shock (I witnessed this first hand no BS).
As in small laser above; gas regeneration, recirculation, cooling, and
dynamic pressures are critical for proper system performance.  This
technology is proprietary; and was seen in early 2000's.

RF driven lasers are fairly common in some applications. There's even one in space on a scientific satellite. The Microwave Limb Sounder has a methanol IR laser. (with a very nifty self tuning system for both the RF and the optical paths)

However, a directly driven laser doesn't have the efficiency hit of the DC to RF conversion.