From: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:11:12 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Calculating the C of multiple Spheres for a top load ?

On 26/2/2012 12:56, jeff mill wrote:
> Hell again
> I’m puzzled . If I plug in an 8” dia sphere in TM it comes up with 11.4pf, If I have four of them 4 X 11.4 =5.6pf I would think. Now the surface area of four of them when calculating, is equal to a 16” sphere but when I plug a 16” sphere into TM is only doubles and comes up with 22.7pf, not 45.6pf like I would think. Can anyone sheds some light on this ? Which is correct ?
>
> Thanks JM
The distributed capacitance of an isolated object is proportional to its
size, not to its area. The capacitance of four spheres (in a square
configuration) is difficult to calculate exactly, but is surely smaller
than the capacitance of a toroid enclosing them. A toroid having small
diameter of 8" and a large diameter of, say, 24" (0.61 x 0.20 m) has
27.5 pF of capacitance. Four spheres far apart would have 4 x 11.30 =
45.2 pF.
(Now I have to find a way to calculate the exact capacitance of four
spheres...)
A first approximation for the case above results in 11.30 x 2.04383 =
20.0953 pF.
With the spheres touching, 11.30 x 1.69955 = 19.2050 pF.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz