Re: [TCML] power losses through GTO wire

On 2/18/12 5:02 PM, jeff mill wrote:
Thank you all for the reassurance on the size of my secondary. This is
actually my first small/medium sized tesla and even with all the
resources out there, man and there is a lot, you still question
yourself. I work with large UPS back up systems but have never
experianced or worked with the high voltages / theory of the tesla but
always wanted to learn.
I guess what I reaaly wanted to know is will I see a large increase in
performance when I actually shorten the 12ft x 2 wires to the primary
down to , say 1ft.

Depends on where the capacitor is. Is RF current flowing in those wires, or is it just AC..

I work with Higher currents and lower V in my trade,
so be easy on me, here is how
I picture it. If I'm pulsing say 200amps to my primary the dc resistance
is very low in the primary with 8 turns of 1/4 inch copper, just to grab
a number , say .1 ohms. Then say my gto , 24ft is .1 ohms then half of
my power going to the primary is lost across the gto wire length ? I
know this isn't correct in thinking, so help me see the light.

Losses in the primary winding itself are typically a small part of the total losses. Spark gap losses are generally much larger.

While the peak currents are high, the duration of the current is low.