Re: [TCML] design idea

Hi Steve,
Thanks for such a detailed explanation.
My experience is hands on, largly with SGTC's, so I often lack an accurate
undestanding of the theory behind things.

So are you saying that a Tesla coil with a low voltage supply and a large
tank cap (for a given frequency), can give just as big arcs off the
secondary, as a Tesla coil with a small tank capacitor (with the same
frequency) and a higher voltage supply?
And this is assuming an impedance match of the supply to the tank
circuit...?

I never really thought of it that way before...

I know the principle behind the voltage rise in a Tesla coil is due to
resonant rise, but I guess I always thought that voltage transformation
between Prim and Sec coils still would play its part...

I.E Higher voltage in means higher voltage out...
Is this Still the case?

I have tried many ratio's of L to C in my tank, and found a point that
worked best.
The arcs were only half the length I needed for the display and was
drawing only 30kw out of the 50kw it is capable of.
In saying that, at 20kw the arcs were almost as long as 30kw input, they
just get fatter... (this is a CW system)

It is my hope that increasing the voltage input to the tank will cause it
to draw more power and if I need to I will reduce the duty cycle.

Given what you mentioned about having a single switch (the valve), do you
think it is worth trying...?
Or do you think I am going to need to abandon the valve etc, and start
using silicon etc...?

If I did start from stcratch, what type of switch(s) would you recomend to
give me multiple 8ft long QCW arcs off the secondary...
I would be using a rectified 400v 3phase supply...

Kind regards,

Carlos