Re: [TCML] Resonance Research Caps

Hi Phil,

There's nothing inherently wrong with using dry film capacitor technology as long as the voltage (stress within each capacitor element) is kept below corona inception along plate boundaries. By using clever series-connected interdigitated structures, modern single-winding metalized self-healing PP film caps have been made with operating voltages of over 8 kV/unit. Stacking batched of these in series allows construction of HV dry-film pulse caps of virtually any voltage. As long as the internal voltage and thermal stress per capacitor is not exceeded, the unit should have comparable reliability as oil-immersed counterparts, and the technology is conceptually no different than making MMC caps from individual dry-film PP snubber caps.

The key is that the design and manufacturing of the cap must be supported by a reputable manufacturing source. The pulse cap (and certainly the internal capacitor modules) must be made by a respected capacitor vendor such as CD, GAES, Aerovox, Plastic Capacitors, etc. The specific details of the capacitor sources and construction should be provided by Resonance Research before purchase, along with clear warranty protection by the original manufacturer to you, the end user.

Bert

Phil Tuck wrote:
All,
I have had several private replies on people's dealings with the individual
concerned for which I am grateful, but the inquiry is more of a case of
finding out what people think of the caps themselves, and particularly the
lack of an oil as the dielectric.
My friend has one that has worked well so far, but the lack of oil still
always leaves a certain doubt in our minds.
I don't think either of us would be willing to deal with him again.

Regards Philip Tuck
www.hvtesla.com.
<snip>