Re: [TCML] cap rms current

Alright, So

I took information from The green monster coil. and ran it threw java TC to export a few parameters.

I then modeled a pulse in the form of cos(w*t)*cos(w2*t)*e^(-t/tau)
Where
w is the angular resonant frequency,
w2 is an envelope frequency defined as being 4* the energy transfer time Java tc produces,
and
tau being a decay constant being defined via a multiple of the energy transfer time Java tc produces, where the decay is mostly complete by at least 5*the energy transfer time, then the constant would be .37*5*energy transfer time.
5 is the maximum time assuming a 3 notch quench. and the over all time constant is still just an approximation.
The 858.6 is the peak current posed by java tc.

Here is something to copy into wolfram alpha to see the wave form, if you wish
"
Plot[ 858.6*cos(58000*2*pi*t)*cos((1/(4*5.636e-5))*2*pi*t)*e^(-t/(5.636e-5*5*.37)), {t, 0, .0003}, {y,-900,900}]
"
I then took that equation squared the whole thing and integrated it over a time scale slightly larger than the time length of my decay, in this case .0004 seconds. This is in accordance with the formula for a root mean square.
I divided by the time interval 1 second, and then multiplied by the beats per second of the spark gap. 350 max was posed for the green monster.

Here is the code for wolfram alpha again
"
sqrt( 350 * integral (858.6*cos(58000*2*pi*t)*cos((1/(4*5.636e-5))*2*pi*t)*e^(-t/(5.636e-5*5*.37)))^2 dt from t=0 to t=.0004)
"

So by this analysis, discounting capacitor charging, and assuming a complete charge already on the capacitor.

The rms current comes out to be between 40 and 60 Amps depending on what tau constant I use for what notch value.
What does everyone think? A reasonable assessment ?

Also important to note, I did this analysis for the worst possible case, that means max bps, and max input power. so 20Kva for the green monster.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."