Re: [TCML] Caps

First let's clear up the mundane - The term is "resonant rise".

The reason for using an LTR cap is to allow the maximum power to be pulled
from the NST.  The underlying analysis  is complex but the fact is that the
most power will be processed (correlating to maximum spark length) when
using an LTR cap.  I performed an experiment to measure the power processed
for a variety of cap sizes with a 15/30 and 15/60 NST, and LTR was the
clear winner.  See
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0afsm3K5nFYNGQ3MmJlZGEtYjQ5My00OTJhLTkwNDMtOWEwMjRkYWJkZjAy

The other thing is that spark length is correlated with bang size, not
simply power.  Given that the bang voltage is (or should be) constant for
all cap sizes, the bang size (.5*C*V**2) is proportional to cap size.
So while having a large cap will get you the maximum spark length, it's
also true that said longer sparks won't be as bright as those generated by
a smaller cap.  So the choice depends of what your goal is.

As far as what's safer to use to prevent blowing out stuff, using
deliberately non-mains-resonant caps will *somewhat* idiot proof the
setting of the safety gaps.  But assuming that the main and safety gaps are
properly set, using STR or LRT or mains-resonant caps are all equally
stressful.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA