Re: [TCML] Beginner

>From the sixth through the twelfth grade, I entered the science fair every year---four of those years it was with a different Tesla coil experiment (transmission of energy, detection of powder size through spark diffusion, etc.)   With one exception, all of those coils used a model T Ford ignition coil as the power source---with one of the coils I achieved almost 2 foot sparks.  The spark coil and the secondary wire were the most expensive components--(nowadays, it would be the wire.)  Everything else was scrounged.   Every project won at least second place, most did better.  You can find numerous resources for this type of coil online, and in older books like the "Boy Electrician" by Alfred P. Morgan.  Good Luck.

Brad "In a lifetime as a Seeker of Truth I have learned this ....... Be content with a good book, a dram of decent brandy and a pipeful of good tobacco."

--- On Thu, 8/16/12, Zachary <zacml123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Zachary <zacml123@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Beginner
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 6:06 PM

You are correct about the money and the project. My dad has offered his
help. He knows a lot about the safety aspect but none of the science of it.
And I'd have to talk to the admins about whether or not it would be
acceptable to bring into school. Knowing them though probably not. Though
it is perfectly aceptable to doucement it with pictures, video, etc and
show that.

And I was reading that safety sheet on the pupman website. I was always
told that the voltage doesn't usually matter and only a high amperage is
dangerous, though that seems not to be the case.
Also would it be a good idea to work with some sort of rubber gloves or
would it not really make a difference at such a high voltage?