Re: [TCML] flyback driver sucess.

Scott -

A few things - what you need is LOTS of gate current on the FET. I am
assuming it's a "HexFet" or similar - these FET's need lots of silicon
surface area to handle the drain current, which means lots of gate surface
area and subsequently lots of gate capacitance. The usual way of driving
the gate is via a totem-pole bipolar transistor 'front end'. In my
original design (Do a web search on Brent Turner and Solid-State Tesla
Coil - it was printed in Radio Electronics and also Electronics
Experimentor in the early 90's...) What I did was simply use a low-value
series gate resistor and an NPN transistor switching the gate to ground
with a pull-up resistor on the collector.

What you need to do is switch the FET off very quickly, thus collapsing
the magnetic field in the flyback primary winding. You ALSO need to snub
or clamp the resulting back-EMF which can reach 2-3x the FET's maximum Vds
rating. I simply tinkered and found a good capacitace value to act as a
'primary resonance capacitor'... Though in this circuit topology, the
primary 'tank' really doesn't oscillate.

And yes, use a good heatsink and thermal goo on the FET.

I used a Samsung FET, 800V, 15A if I remember right. Used a 555 timer
oscillator and the whole thing ran on 12 volts. I was able to get a good
1/2-3/4" flaming discharge to ground off the SMALL flyback transformer.
Drove a Plasma lamp to incredible brilliance.

- b