From: Harold Weiss <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Oct 26, 2011 5:25 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] How to Fix Damaged Secondary

Hi Amir,

What kind of varnish did you use?

With my older coils, I used polyurathane, coating every 3 hours till the
coil was smooth.  The inner coats stayed somewhat liquid for years.  Having
a breakdown, the coil would ooze a bit, and recover the damage, with very
few problems afterwards.  As long as the wires aren't melted together, a
little clean up, and recoating  may be all you need.

Worse case, you may have to cut a few turns out and splice.

You may want to also reduce coupling.

David Weiss

When testing at about 5 Kw, I noticed some arcing one individual turn at
exactly one point about 12" on the secondary. Upon examination, there is a
small burn mark at the point on the turn where it was arcing. At this point
on the wire, the varnish is melted and has left the point exposed. I have
re-varnished the entire coil already. Is there anything I can do to "heal"
the damaged point to prevent further arcing? I was originally planning to
step up the power to about 12 Kw, but I might have to hold off, or possibly
reduce coupling. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your kindness,

Amir Mojarradi