Re: [TCML] Help with capacitor + ignition coil project

Actually, today 575 farads is no big deal for the new super caps. Someone
recently listed some used super caps rated 2600 farads at 2.7 volts for only
$10 each. You could wire enough of these in series to get enough voltage to
turn the starter but it would get kind of expensive, even at $10 each, to
wire enough in series/parallel to get enough capacitance and voltage. For
instance, 5 of them in series would give you 13.5 volts but cut the
capacitance to 520 farads, which might be close enough to the 575 farads
that was figured earlier, if it is accurate. I didn't check. Auto batteries
typically measure 13.8 volts when fully charge, by the way.

If you wanted to try something like this, you would have to be extremely
careful to limit the voltage because the super caps are very sensitive to
overvoltage and will die. So, you would need to build a charging supply for
the caps that was limited to an absolute maximum of 13.5 volts and it would
most likely be much better to leave some room for error and limit it to less
than this.
Paul
Think Positive