Re: [TCML] wooden bobbin

I've used wood a lot although your application probably requires it to be pretty thin. Before cutting the piece to be worked is placed in a pan full of melted paraffin was whose temperature is almost hot enough to scorch it. Air and probably steam bubbles out for a while but when that stops the wood seems to be pretty well impregnated and ready for use. The reason this is done before shaping is because the stuff usually shrinks significantly and can possibly warp. The wood is removed from the pan and suspended to allow the excess paraffin to drain off. After it cools is seems more solid and easier to work. This is a very very dangerous process because of the possibility of igniting the paraffin but I've never had any problems. Keep a fire extinguisher on hand 'just in case'. I should mention I've used this as a base for RF coils with no apparent increase in loss.

Ed

Scott Bogard wrote:

Hey all,
    Still doing some research on making flyback transformers, I'm toying
with the idea of making a slotted bobbin to make a series pancake type
secondary, as it sound infinitely easier to wind, and I plan on making
several...  My question is can I use wood as a bobbin material, it should
be fairly easy to machine to my shape, and much cheaper than plastic, and I
figure it can just be soaked in wax or polyurethane or epoxy or something
to provide protection from the corona of the windings...  Probably a bad
idea, but what do you guys think, using wood in a transformer, royally bad
idea or no?

Scott Bogard.