Re: [TCML] DRSSTC tuning at high power

No.. it's the speed with which the topload delivers the charge to the
> streamer that needs to be balanced with the speed at which the secondary
> feeds charge to the topload.  At a time scale of tens of nanoseconds (which
> is the streamer growth sort of scale), I think the secondary looks like a
> stiff constant current source putting a relatively constant current into the
> topload.

Okay, so I can either slow down the power delivered from the secondary to
the topload (no good because that will just limit my power throughput) or
increase the power delivered from the topload to the streamer (this is what
I presume I want).  So basically I want a very low impedance from my
secondary, through the topload, to the end of the breakout point, correct?

It also occurred to me that the rings making up the sphere are connected by
a thin uninsulated wire, which probably adds significantly to the RF
impedance of the breakout point... I'll have to experiment with that too.

Why not?  There's lots of clever people on the list, and we've developed TC
> specific models in the past.  It just takes someone getting motivated, and,
> often, the availability of some useful adjunct (e.g. another modeling tool
> to solve part of the problem)

I've got experience in FEM (comsol), and I don't see how you could replicate
the actual breakdown of air into plasma.  You could try setting air as a
nonlinear volume conductor, but that wouldn't include how the plasma and
ionization behaves after the charge is gone.

-Mike