Re: [TCML] connecting tubes to make primary

> What you want to do is get a short (~1") segment of shiny brass 10-24
> or 10-32 screw or threaded rod, and insert it halfway into each end
> of the tubing.  Heat it with a propane tourch or heavy duty soldering
> gun and feed solder into the joint.  The screw/rod will keep the
> two segments coaxial and provide mechanical rigidity.

     When I learnt this technique, albeit for home plubing,
     the term was 'sweat soldering'.  Guess its largely
     superseded by plastic pipe, and concerns about lead,
     in that application.

     Works as described, use lots of heat.  Used to use
     'acid flux' as opposed to the 'rosic (core)' inherent
     in electronic solder.  Also helps to clean the inside
     of the tube with mild abrasive, or wire brush.  A bit
     tricky in smaller sizes, but helps a lot.  eg: try
     rolling some fine sand paper on a small screw, or on
     itself, to clean the inner surface of the tube.

     best
      dwp