[TCML] GFI test

Hi all,

I recently installed a ground fault interrupter on my coil in an attempt to
get it to fire a single pulse for only 1/2 of the 60 HZ input cycle.  I
positioned it before the varic controlling the supply voltage to the NST.
 Much to my surprise the GFI did NOT trip when the coil was energised.  The
coil ran fine as if the GFI was not there.

This type of GFI needs a constant supply of power to remain in the non
tripped state so I was unable easily wire it in after the variac which is
switched on the secondary side.

 Coil details-  7000 volt, 30 mA NST switched with a static sucker spark
gap, 5 nF tank cap (MMC), magnifier configuration.

Shunts were not removed from the NST.

Does any one have any ideas for easily pulsing the coil for 1/2 AC supply
cycle short of rigging a SCR to switch at zero cross over ?

Tim