Re: [TCML] Inductor

One good way to do it is to wind a pancake coil between two round pieces of plexiglas or polycarbonate. The spacing can be several wire diameters, and the interturn voltage will not be enough to arc through (Breakdown between two pieces of magnet wire is about 5 kV.) My supply filters are #18 magnet wire wound 6 inches OD and 2 inches ID between discs 5/8 inch apart and they have been working well for mondo years. Inductance is 15.3 mH. They can be wound with an electric drill or even by hand. The filter capacitance is 12 feet of RG8/U (~400pF). An added advantage is that they look kind of cool.

---Carl

Anyone have any advice for winding small multilayer air core inductors for higher voltages.
I am planning on making a five .02H units using #21 wire. Just wanted to check in before I started

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6236 (20110624) __________

http://www.eset.com