Re: [TCML] A New Kind of Valve Coil

On 6/19/2011 6:44 PM, Phillip Slawinski wrote:
Roger,

I had to do a lot of things to push the 833 that hard.  Driving the
coil via grid feedback is really finicky.  The grid coil is pushed up
as high as it can go, and that's the only place where it works.  I
also added some inductance in series with the grid.  When I added the
inductance I almost doubled the spark length that I could get.  I'm
not sure these results are very repeatable.  The tube I have seems to
be more rugged than the standard 833.  I'm able to push about 20kV
peak on the plate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/5530682878/in/photostream

I also overdrive the filament to 10.8V.  There may be some more
performance to be extracted from an 833C based system, but I'm ready
to move on.  I'm trying to find a larger tube now, so I can make
longer sparks, and run a higher PPS rate.

-Phillip

Hi Phillip,  Thats quite a remarkable setup there.  Is there anything
special you had to do to the 833 tube coil so that it could handle this
pulsed mode operation.   I noticed that the tickler coil was up kind of high
but I'm guessing that that's where you keep it for CW operation as well.

Roger

Thanks Phillip, I am currently trying to drive an 833 based system with an 3cx10000a3 so this is of great interest to me. At low power I have no trouble getting about a foot of spark but as I increase power it doesn't improve much. The sparks get brighter but not much longer and the efficiency goes way down.

Roger