Re: [TCML] the ir2110 mosfet driver chip for sstcs?

There are several additional precautions that have to be adhered to with these
devices...

1.  Either the low channel output must be sequenced several times to establish
     "boostrap" charge on the upper channel prior to sequencing as a normal
     half bridge, or the upper output will not turn fully on.  This
can result in
     driver and output device failure.
2.  An external bootstrap oscillator using a separate simple 555 circuit
     will allow operation of driver to extremely high or low duty cycles without
     bootstrap charge starvation.

See below link for external bootstrap drive, this is a multiple kilowatt buck
regulator from effectively 0V to 100% DC bus voltage for an induction heater
power control.

http://www.neon-john.net/Induction/Roy/Buck_Converter.htm

This issue was a major difficulty with Marco Denicolai's Thor, DCPS operated
Tesla Coil.  The DC power supply was problematic until Marco sequenced the
low level drivers first to establish bootstrap charge, then the HVDCPS
operated with few problems.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36584405/thesistesla

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS