Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:06 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] 12"/16" Large Coil Diameter Selection

Hello everyone!

I am planning on winding a large secondary coil and have an option regarding diameter size.

I have on hand a large supply of 18 awg magnet wire as well as two segments of sonotube. They are both 60" in length, but one is 12" in diameter and the other is 16" in diameter. The coil will be powered by a 14.4 Kv 10 kw pole transformer.

I have researched the archives and found that the main considerations in designing larger coils to be the lower aspect ratio (suggested to be 3:1), a larger diameter (for it is more "efficient" and can handle more power), as well as aesthetic design (overall coil size versus spark output length).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments on which coil diameter to use based on any criteria that are important in this decision.

I am also curious to know how a 4" increase in diameter of a secondary coil will make a difference (if any) in coil performance with regards to the above criteria.

Thank you so very much for any input and I appreciate all comments.

Amir M.