From: "S&JY" <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:17:56 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] DC tesla coil

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Lux
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 3:50 PM
Jim - good question. I tried using two triggered spark gaps, but I couldn't
find a way to keep them from firing at the same time--with disastrous
results--even though the triggers were alternating with lots of dead time
between the triggers. So I gave up & used the dual-gap RSG solution.

And yes, for either configuration, filtering the DC power supply is a good
idea. I used 24 Microwave oven caps in series-parallel to get the ripple
down to less than 10%.

Steve Y.

To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

> But if you want to build a much improved DC coil, add a second pair of
> stationary electrodes on your RSG. One gap charges your MMC, the rotor
> rotates a bit, then the other gap discharges the MMC into your coil
primary,
> and the cycle repeats. This avoids the RSG trailing arcs, allows break
> rates as slow as you want, protects your DC supply since it is
disconnected
> when the MMC discharges into your primary, and allows you to use a simple
> air core reactor of about 50 milliHenry.

I wonder if you could make a triggered gap version of this?