From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Lux
Sent: 08 July 2011 02:05
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] 35 KVA Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil

On 7/7/11 12:03 PM, Phil Tuck wrote:
> Wow that was news to me, I worked on the principle that the increased
> current flow through the primary winding must cause more flux to be
> created in the core. So either that is not the case, which I am not
> sure why, or it does increase the flux, in which case if it is the
> latter would the secondary flux increase cancel it out then? Otherwise
what is happening?

You've got it, sort of...

Consider the transformer with no secondary load...

You put a voltage on it, and it has a certain (low) current, with a certain
magnetizing flux.  The "impedance" seen by the source into the primary is
high (which is why the current is low)..

Now start loading the secondary...
Current flows in the secondary (and, yes, there is a flux from that), but
it's exactly balanced by an increase in the flux in the primary (because
there's more current there, too..)

So the net flux in the core is exactly the same.