Re: [TCML] update

I assume you re-tuned if needed.  In general true toroids
do a better job of controlling (preventing) the corona/streamers
from jumping off the top turn.  The problem can be solved
by placing a corona ring just above the top turn.  It can
be maybe 5" overall diameter or so, and as little as 1" tube
diameter, maybe less.  Sparks should come off the main
copper ball rather than this corona ring.  Ball should not
be too high above the ring perhaps.  corona ring should
be electrically connected to the secondary wire.  Depending
on the primary tune point, sparks will emit either from the
corona ring or the ball, probably.  Adding a breakout point
to the ball might help some too, if you haven't already.

A low cost toroid can be made from aluminum dryer ducting
as so many folks have done.  It can be wrapped with aluminum
foil or tape to make it reasonably smooth.

Another crude method that might help some is to "bash"
(technical term) the copper ball at one spot to make it flat,
so the rounded part will come very close to the top turn.
But depending on how much secondary form length exists
on top of the top turn, this may prevent the ball from getting
close enough to the top turn.

The idea is to get some sort of item of larger radius of curvature
near the top turn to shield it.

This is why you may see some coils with two toroids on top;
a small one just above the top turns, and a larger toroid higher up.
the smaller one behaves as a corona ring, and permits the top
toroid to be higher than otherwise, which increases the top load
capacitance and can help prevent strikes to the primary or to the
ground in the case of a more powerful coil.

Another thing I forgot to mention about your video, the sparks
looked rather weak until you "drew" them out with a metal object.
I assume you're getting stronger looking sparks now using the
ball, and without "drawing" them out with a metal object.

Cheers,
John