Re: [TCML] Is this 2,3kW Triode suitable for a VTTC?

Hi Stefan,

It's possible that when I changed from MOT doubler to plate
transformer without doubler, I may have had to re-adjust something
on the VTTC such as the grid resistor or tuning, etc.  I don't really
remember.  I'd have to look back at my notes.  But you may be
running into something like that.  The doubler method in some
cases does tend to give a quick spike of voltage at the beginning
of the mains AC cycle, which then tapers off.  So the overall
efficiency of the doubler system can be higher.  This however
may only offset the general inefficiency of MOTs, so the overall
efficiency might be about the same.

I generally prefer operation with the doubler.  The tube may run
cooler because the high voltage is not sustained as long during
the mains AC cycle.  It's sort of like using what I used to call
"duty cycle control".

John