science project Re: [TCML] Beginning Tesla Design

On 1/4/11 11:04 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Gary Lau wrote:

Terry Fritz performed a methodical experiment to determine the life
expectancy of CDE MMC caps, operated at a peak AC voltage equal to
their DC voltage rating. The result (speaking from memory) was that
they would last at least 20 hours. While this may not sound like a
lot, it's probably a lot more run time than any hobby coil would ever
accumulate.

75 hours, actually:
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2005/Sep/msg00917.html

This, by the way, would be a good science project (not duplicating Terry's tests, but similar). You can make predictions based on what we know about capacitor design and failure mechanisms (which you get from the research). you can run tests to failure, and then, if you could get hooked up with someone who can help you do failure analysis of the failed parts, it would be even better.

There's a lot of anecdotal data about beer bottle in bucket caps, for instance, but I don't know that someone has actually done life/reliability/performance testing on them.