From: chipford <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Dec 26, 2011 8:10 am
Subject: [TCML] Short Circuit.

Hopefully the Moderator will let this pass.
I was thinking of building a solenoid type device to trigger my coil. I know
here are other ways but, it brought to mind a question to me. First, if I take
 6" pc. of wire and stick it into any common household 120 volt outlet, it will
ause a short circuit and kick my 15 amp breaker. So, lets say I have a pc. of
ild steel pipe, 1/2" in dia., 12" long with a washer welded to each end
reating a spool. If I have a spool of #12 thhn stranded copper wire, how many
urns will it require to prevent a short circuit and why? I am sure it take at
east a specific value of Henries or Resistance but, Don't know how to do the
ath. What is the math.
120 VAC
5 Amp Breaker
12 THHN Copper Stranded Wire