Re: [TCML] Alternate RF Ground

The screen is made of insulating material, not semiconductive.
It's quite effective. A link is here:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/hv_screen.htm

And, yes, it's in Switzerland.
Regards

Kurt

Jim Lux wrote:
On 4/13/11 6:02 AM, dave pierson wrote:
Electrically it would help a lot.  Aesthetically it would suck
bigtime.  If you could leave off the side toward the audience
it would still be a big help.  You could hoke the cage up to make
it look like some kind of lab walls.
   An open sided 'cage' will catch SPARKS/ARCs only.

   EMI/RFI will propagate freely.

<snip>

My guess is that TC cages work because they contain where the sparks
physically go, and more importantly, they provide a low impedance
return path to the coil for the spark current.  That is, the E field
from the spark doesn't penetrate the cage very much, so there's not
much capacitive coupling from the sparks or coil to things in the
surrounding (mic cables, power cords, etc.).

It's like putting a grounded electrostatic shield  in the middle of a
capacitor.

And if this is the case, then whether your cage has 6 sides or 5 or 3
doesn't make as much difference as whether you have something
conductive between source and victim.

(didn't one of the long-time list members do some stuff with a
semiconductive sheet hung horizontally above their coil to prevent
"roof strikes"...  In Switzerland, I think, but maybe Germany.