Re: [TCML] Alternate RF Ground

On 4/11/11 1:42 AM, Grant Visser wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 2KW SSG coil which I need to run in a conference centre
environment where I will have no access to a solid dedicated RF ground
point.

I could of course connect it to the nearest fire extinguisher outlet
or even the 3phase ground but I would be VERY concerned about inducing
spikes and RF noise into sensitive equipment elsewhere in the
building.
Not a great plan.

Thus I am looking for alternate solutions and am hoping someone on the
list may be able to help.

What about a chicken wire/mesh ground plane/counterpoise under your coil. Make the diameter twice the height of the top of the coil above the plane. (that is, if you have a 4 foot high coil, sitting on a 2 foot high cart, you need a 12 foot diameter counterpoise.

I read somwhere that it is possible to use a spare secondary coil as a
dummy load on the RF earth???

Not exactly.. One can build a bipolar coil which has two HV terminals.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I also need to keep all RF and EM emissions to an absolute minimum
as there will be a lot of sensitive equipment being used in the same
area like video projectors, amps, UHF wireless microphones, computers,
DMX controlled lighting, etc.
This can either be easy or hard. Like most EMI/EMC situations, "it depends".

Start by keeping the power for your coil away from other wiring (e.g. don't run the extension cords providing the coil power in the same bundle with the audio snake and the DMX lines) You say it's a 2kW coil, so where are you getting your power from? Does your coil have *good* filtering on the AC inlet, to keep interference from creeping back out?