Re: [TCML] Tesla's topload

How's this for a shot in the dark? The charge will still be mutually repelled to the outside of whichever assembly we are looking at, so the field at the outside of each ring will be higher than the field at the surface of the smooth toroid if both are sharged to the same voltage. So the charge stored on each is about the same for each configuration at the same voltage, and charge per volt is capacitance. So the capacitances will be about equal, but the electric field at the surface of the rings will be greater than on the smooth toroid, so it will break down at a lower voltage.

---Carl

Well Steve, experimental evidence and experience always supersedes theory. Being an individual who wants to go into the field of high voltage research upon graduation, I am going to have to play with that software you have. =)

So I guess the real question is, where is the charge going? Since it does not seem logical that a 50% decrease in surface area would yield only a 10% -15% decrease in capacitance. So something else must be going on here.

I suppose that the most logical explanation would be that charge is actually being stored on the interior of the structure for these open geometry designs. Maybe due to the incompleteness of the conductor Faraday's law does not apply with the same rigor as it would in a solid sphere model.

Just out of curiosity how does the total surface area of your electrodes compare to that of a solid model.

I am willing to bet that if 2 5-10 degree sectors centered on the radial line between each element were removed from each ring. (you would have to reconnect the now 2 conductors somehow) that the capacitance would remain about the same as previously calculated.

This would be a test of the fact that charge is not really going to be stored directly in between each element. And might work to support the idea that charge is actually being stored on the interior, by showing that the total used surface area of a ring toroid is roughly equivalent to 10-15% of the exterior surface of a solid toroid.

Questions for another day I suppose. =)

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV