RE: [TCML] Racing arcs and primary resonances

Instead of all this rhetoric about scoping the primary, Doodle's Theorem,
blah, blah, blah, why don't you just try tuning your coil? Might I suggest
the following:

Add some stationary gaps in series with your RSG

Add some ballast resistance in series with your pot

Adjust the primary / secondary coupling to optimize / eliminate racing
sparks

Adjust the timing on your sync motor

Is the corona ring big enough to prevent flashover?

Adequate insulation on the secondary?

Might take some time, but eventually you should be able to do all this by
ear

Example: Zotzilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsT9hHGdfY
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsT9hHGdfY&feature=related>
&feature=related

Specifications:

8 rotating studs at 1800 rpm with 4 gaps per bang in series with 5 static
gaps; that's 9 gaps per bang.  FYI: power arcing develops without the
stationary gaps

Burden resistor of 0.1 to 0.2 ohms for ten foot arcs at 240 volts / 45A /
7.5kw / 12kv input to primary. FYI: power arcing develops without the
ballast resistance

Careful adjustment of RSG timing.  FYI: serious RSG flame-over develops when
timing is not properly adjusted

Careful adjustment of primary / secondary coupling; optimized for maximum
spark length without racing sparks

Once you've done the above steps, your coil should run like a Swiss watch

Additional info on this old coil can be seen at:
http://audiotesla.org/zotzilla.htm

Good luck,

Hank