From: Phil Tuck <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, April 3, 2011 9:22:41 AM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Re. safety gap.

I had never considered putting a three ball with an earthed-centre safety gap on
a pig, as I just use a two-horn arrangement on mine. With the winding
arrangement of an NST however, it makes obvious sense.

Having said that, on a pig it would no doubt help in dealing with a primary
strike, as it offers a path straight to the RF earth, rather than going through
the pig's windings to the core or case and then earth.

As for over-voltage peaks if your pig has a normal two terminal type output (no
connection to the case), any peaks would still be caught because they would just
go from one ball to the centre and mostly onto the third. Therefore, the centre
earth would matter less in that case.

Be interesting to hear what others think, the archives on this matter all relate
to NST's it seems.

Regards
Phil