Re: [TCML] Largest Secondary Coil "Drivable" by Primary Circuit

I find the statement that secondary size doesn't matter is somewhat misleading. This is assuming that the optimal secondary size was chosen when the power supply was decided upon. When designing a secondary for given power level, what factors do you use to determine the size. Has there been a rule of thumb developed relating input power to secondary diameter? The reason I bring all of this up is because I just wound a new secondary this weekend. :) on my 2 kW NST power supply I went from a 4.5" x 23" secondary and am upgrading to a 8.625" x 37" secondary. Was all of this work in vain? Thanks a lot!

Jeremy

Brandon,

The toroid size should follow the input power, not the secondary
size.  If you keep the input power the same, but use a larger secondary,
you should not use a larger toroid (unless the toroid was too small
for the power in the first place).  If you increase both the input power and
the secondary size, then the toroid size should also be increased.
If you double the input power, then the toroid should be made
1.4 times larger approximately.  For example if the original input
power used a 13" toroid, then when doubling the input power,
you'd use an 18" toroid... just a rule of thumb.  The spark length
should also increase about 1.4 times if you double the input power.
If the original spark length was 40" then the new spark length
using double the input power might be 56" or so.

John

Sent from my BlackBerry device from Cincinnati Bell Wireless