Re: [TCML] Effects of SRSG Dwell Time on Coil Performance

Stefan,

That's a good question.  A faster mechanical dwell time is generally better.
There's an old myth that fast dwell time gives faster gap quenching.  In reality
the quench-time depends more on output spark streamer loading.  But if the
mechanical dwell time is too long, a condition called "re-firing" of the
spark gap can occur, which results in very inefficient operation.  This
re-firing occurs when the capacitor is able to recharge to a sufficient
voltage to permit the cap to fire again while the electrodes are still aligned
from the previous firing.  Many factors determine whether a gap will
re-fire such as; low rotary rpm, small rotary disc diameter, small capacitor size,
wide electrode diameter, narrow electrode gap spacing, etc.  Usually re-firing is
not a problem until the factors mentioned reach an extreme, or combine
to the extreme.

Generally speaking, the faster 3000 rpm is preferable to the 1500 rpm.
That said, you'll usually see no difference in performance either way.
The 300 rpm might give a little more of a swirling air effect, and slightly
help the quenching that way.  Fast quenching is preferable, if it can
be achieved without increasing gap resistive losses.

Cheers,
John