RE: [TCML] Questions on the Freau SRSG Phase Controller

Aric,
I do not think it is helpful to quote actual amounts really, as it so much
depends on the motor. It seems from my limited experience with this subject
that the bigger the motor (power wise) the more capacitance is needed.
Dependant on where your rotor is located on the shaft initially you do not
really need as much as 45 degrees shift anyway, what you have should do fine
provided the rotor is roughly in place already. I find it best to have the
rotor positioned on its shaft such that without any phase control whatsoever
the electrodes align at the top of the mains sine wave. This is easily done
with the scope method, but I would imagine with your way the best option is
visually look at the spinning rotor whilst illuminated by the LED's. It
should then align. If not, move the rotor on the shaft. You then have the
starting position to work from initially and the 45 degrees shift you have
so far would then be fine. When you run the SRSG, you can clearly hear from
the noise that you have the sweet spot.
John said the other day that apparently you don't need to have an actual
voltage rise for it to work. (I learnt something there as well)
With both my SRSG's, I found they start much easier if they have no phase
adjustment being used initially at start up. I then adjust the phase and
power sequentially once the coil is running. This is the reason I have my
rotor align with the peak of the sine wave initially.

Regards
Phil

www.hvtesla.com