Re: [TCML] Touching 500Kv Tesla coil

Brent here, the guy you have seen on TV actually doing this...

A few words.

Don't. Again, DON'T. I'll repeat it - DON'T.

Having said that, there ARE ways to demonstrate this. I shall mention how
it has been done in the past, and I am in NO WAY telling you how to do
this, or that it's safe, or anything like that.

A wooden chair is not a good idea. Wood CAN retain moisture, and moisture
WILL conduct the energy from the coil.

Sparks from larger coil systems striking the bare skin CAN create
unpleasant feelings, from stinging sensations to 'needle sticks', if the
energy in the sencondary is high enough, also can cause involuntary muscle
contractions, possibly throwing you off balance and off the chair (or
whatever is used) leading to a secondary, non-coil related physical
injury. (Such as jerking your arm, losing your balance, landing on some
sharp object, a table corner, or even the ENERGIZED PRIMARY SYSTEM of the
coil itself!

In the past, performers used non-conductive THICK rubber mats or sheets,
and did not allow the spark to touch bare skin, usually some sort of metal
wand was used, drawing the sparks to it, rather than the skin itself.

Fixed spark-gap systems tend to have rough oscillation unless the gap has
been designed for optimal firing - the erratic nature of a crude spark gap
will create erratic oscillatory bursts from the secondary, AND THEY AREN'T
FUN... Also, consider that the topload or torroid (if using one) creates a
form of energy storage capacitance, and when discharging, will give a high
current 'spike' which again can cause all sorts of unpleasant neurological
response.

Leave the 'fantastic demos' to the pro's.

- brent