Re: [TCML] Question about my sparkgap and terryfilter setting and testing

Hi Andreas,

It looks to me that in your video, you don't have the tank capacitor hooked
up.  I say this because the arc looks relatively dim and quiet compared to a
gap discharging a cap.  I'm sure that your airflow isn't too strong.  You'd
need an extremely powerful and focused blast to get that, and a muffin fan
isn't capable of that.  That the arc appears to be blown about by the air is
because the arc isn't a powerful one with a cap in the circuit.

But I'm not sure I understand about your needing to move the electrodes
closer. Are you saying that after some period of time, the gap will no
longer fire reliably unless you close the gap or remove surface oxidation?
Particularly for tungsten electrodes, that would surprise me.

When setting the safety gaps, the tank capacitor must be disconnected, but
the other Terry filter components are OK to keep connected.  Just unclip the
primary coil tap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA