From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Gary Lau
Sent: 09 October 2010 15:19
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Hi Phil,

Even with the RF tank oscillations eliminated, the laptop was not totally
unaffected.  When the spark gap was firing, the laptop touch pad was totally
unusable.  I'm guessing that there's still a lot of RF in the air, and with
my body being a good antenna, the touch pad is capacitively coupled to me
and gets totally fouled up.

If you refer to the setup photo on page 5, you can see the blk/wht twisted
pair cable from the photodiode hanging from the corner of the box, going
through a ferrite toroid, to the LabJack box, to a USB cable, down to the
basement floor, then up to another ferrite toroid, and to the laptop.  I
found that the LabJack would lock up when the USB cable was draped on the
floor, but OK if I lifted it up off the floor just a bit.

I'm not sure which anomaly at 120V you're referring to.   There were curious
peaks and dips seen at both Variac voltages.

Yes this same technique could also be used to determine the best cap for a
sync gap.  That was actually my motivation for building the dummy load in
the first place.  Several years ago when I first built my SRSG, to determine
what cap size to use, I built the dummy load.  Instead of monitoring the
lamp brightness, I scoped the cap voltage at the bang point.  Then
calculated the bang size - 1/2 C*V^2.  Surprisingly, using my same 15/60,
the best cap was 0.04uF.  In hindsight, monitoring the lamp voltage would
have been a lot easier.  Since the gap firing is now a regular 120BPS, the
problem of long term averaging goes away, and metering the light would be
trivial - a laptop would not be needed.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA