Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

 Hi Gary,

Thanks for doing these tests and posting the results.  I was surprised that the
135 volt input called for a smaller cap value.  I would have thought it would
remain the same.  I guess it does make sense though since the firing voltage
is basically fixed.  It would be interesting to see if an SRSG system behaves
differently in that regard.  The basic similarity in results between the Jefferson and the
Allison NSTs suggests that NSTs don't vary that much between brands.
I agree that the Allison most likely had built in PFC because the name
plate showed 450VA instead of 900VA.  I agree it would have been nice to
have tested the Jefferson NST with added external PFC to see if this
would cause it match the Allison results more closely.  It would have been
nice to have been able to have tested a Franceformer NST also.

SRSG tests will be trickier because the rotary gap phase will have to be
optimized for each NST, cap value, and input voltage used.

In some tests I've done in the past, and also in tests that Lou Balint has done,
we saw some "different" behavior between NSTs of different ratings, i.e. 15/30
vs. 15/60, or 7.5/30 vs. 15/30.  It would certainly be great if you are able to
continue your testing with NSTs of other ratings.  As you said, the dip in the power
curve at 120V is surprising and interesting.

Regarding the static gap power variations over time, at least it stayed pretty much within
a certain band of input power.  Did the gap firing at least "sound" steady?  Or could
you hear the timing variations as the system ran?

Regards,
John