Re: [TCML] Trying another coil after 42 years

Hi Bill.

Welcome to this great hobby.  Others may use the word "obsession"...

I'm not sure I understand the motivation and constraints of your upgrade
plan.  Are you trying to use your old primary & secondary coils, for
nostalgic reasons?  Are you specifically aiming to use solid-state
technology rather than spark gap technology?  If someone simply wanted to
build a 6" tall coil, I'd recommend a simple small NST and spark gap, but it
sounds like you may have additional requirements/constraints.

555's are not typically used in Tesla coils, except when driving CW flyback
transformers.  CW coils have unimpressive performance as compared with
disruptive (spark gap) coils.  Where did the 45KHz figure come from?

The power needed for a 6" tall coil?  How high is up? ;-)  But seriously, an
NST to power such a small coil might pull roughly 50-100W.

Regards,
Gary Lau
MA, USA