[TCML] Re: Fried It!

So TCML members - do we think this is emi that is getting back into the ac lines and not being adequately filtered? Or is this the result of a direct strike, em fields, a possible radiating coil or something else?

And another question - if the consensus is that this is emi getting into the ac lines, why isn't this being filtered out by the setup which includes a Terry filter and emi filter? Since a Terry filter is basically a low pass filter, does this perhaps mean that we should think about using stronger low pass filters to cut down on the frequencies?

Derek

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:25 AM

"Miles Mauldin" <teslamiles@xxxxxxx>

To:

Hi Gary,

Thanks, knew I was taking chances but thought I had a better handle on
protection.

The coil was about 10-11 feet from the control unit, this was also the first
time I have run the coil on that side of the garage; maybe shouldn't run it
there...

Using 3 NSTs rated at 12,000 / 30mA each, so 90mA right now.

Yes, what I expect was the real culprit was the 8 zone wiring coming into the
garage and up the wall connecting to the controller.  Here's where I'm thinking
to use the ferrite cores as close to the control unit as possible.  Maybe even
inside the unit.

My RF Ground is an 8' ground rod pounded into the year outside the garage.  The
connection is a 10 AWG stranded insulated wire 18' long.  The mid-point
secondary grounds on the NSTs, the ground on the Terry filter, and the lower end
of the secondary coil are all tied to this RF ground.  The EMI filters
connecting to the primary side of the NSTs are grounded to the mains ground;
these two grounds are not shared.

The good news is that after a complete shutdown, disconnecting the zone modules
from the controller, and a reset/restart, everything seems to be back to normal
working order.  Just have to reprogram, and watch for the water bill....

Thanks for any pointers Gary.
Miles