Re: [TCML] Measuring Voltage?

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 01:59, Brandon Hendershot <
brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an old KV meter from an x-ray machine with a range of 40kv to 140kv
>> dc.
>>
> I'm fairly certain NST's output AC current, at least that's what I had
> always thought... Regardless, reading AC on a DC meter would cause grossly
> over-rated readings.

The readings will not be "grossly overrated".  Assuming the meter is
properly calibrated the reading will be equal to the peak voltage, which for
a sinusoidal waveform will be sqrt(2) [1.414] times the RMS voltage.  So you
could take the reading from the meter and simply multiply by .707 to get the
RMS voltage.

This being said, you can't use an analog meter such as the one described to
measure secondary voltage.  The meter can not react to the short duration
pulse put out by the secondary.  Even if the meter could react quickly it's
very presence creates a load which brings the voltage down, and detunes the
system.  Directly measuring secondary voltage without disturbing the tuning
is a tricky thing to do.  If you're really interested in measuring the
voltage check out Terry Fritz's fiber optic voltage probe (it should be in
the archives somewhere).