Re: [TCML] Source for copper hardware

Hi Dave,

You could also try using silicon bronze bolts and washers. Although it has relatively poor electrical conductivity (12% IACS), it has comparatively high tensile strength, and very high corrosion resistance. It's often used by the utilities for bolting bus bars together because of its high tensile strength and corrosion resistance. I got my bolts, nuts, and washers from the local recycling center - they had a barrel full from substation tear downs. Lots of folks carry them on the web too. After prepping the joints to remove any oxide, you may also want to try using an electrical joint compound made for copper-copper joins, such as Penetrox or similar with copper particles to help reduce oxidation in the gap.

I had a similar problems terminating #00 cable and lugs for my coin shrinker. Found that smashing the lug onto the cable using a good sized hammer and anvil did the trick. Not elegant, but permanent. No problem carrying 40-80 kA pulses with no sparking/arcing.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce

Dave Leddon wrote:
I've been trying to eliminate hot spots in the primary circuit of a
relatively high current (~3000 amp) drsstc by replacing high resistance
connection points with copper. Even a one-inch length of 3/8-inch brass
bolt can generate enough heat to melt the solder right out of a terminal
lug. Which raise another interesting point, what about solder? It has
ten times the resistance of copper so maybe all lugs should be crimped.
I only soldered them because I don't own a crimper large enough to deal
with #2 welding cable. But I digress. I've not had any success locating
a source for copper nuts and bolts, probably because copper isn't strong
enough to be consider a fastener, and so have been force to machine my
own. I would much rather just plunk down the credit card. Does anybody
know of a good source for copper hardware?

Dave
Pleasanton, ca