RE: [TCML] Idle musings about surge suppressors

That would be one of my main concerns.  I think closed in a proper box, the fire issue is small (albeit still cause for concern), but a closed short could be problematic.  It would be interesting to look inside one of the GE whole-house units to see how they are constructed.

Nick A